The River Spey is probably the most famous salmon river in the World and the home of speycasting. It is one of Scotland’s big four salmon rivers with the third largest drainage area after the Tay and Tweed and is the second longest after the Tay. However, its major attraction is its size and the strength of its stream – in the middle and lower river it falls on average 12 feet per mile – the greatest of any British river. The river Spey is an alpine river and snow fed from the Cairngorm Mountains and in a good year this can mean the river staying high until early June. The Spey rises in the Monadhliath Mountains to the south of Loch Ness and flows 100 miles northwards to enter the Moray Firth at Spey bay, providing miles of perfect, and highly sought after, fly fishing water.
The waters are low in nutrients, and have reminded fairly free from pollution. The main river is also relatively free from obstruction. For further information www.fishpal.com
Local ‘Gillies’ will gladly guide you along the Spey to the best spots where fishing is allowed with the purchase of day tickets and local tackle hire. Enjoy a great days fishing on one of the best salmon rivers in Scotland and just minutes from your Silverglades accommodation.
Where to Buy Tickets
Visitor Tickets For Abernethy Waters
- Boat of Garten Post Office (please note: post office closed half day Thursday and Saturday)
Visitor Tickets For Aviemore Waters
- Aviemore Newsagents, Myrtlefield, Aviemore (Located at the end of shopping mall, at North end of Aviemore. Shop on the left if coming into Aviemore from the North, or on the right if coming into Aviemore from the South through roundabout)
- Rothiemurchus Fishery Shop, Rothiemurchus Estate, Aviemore
- Cairngorm Mountain Sports, Aviemore (shop opposite Aviemore Police statione Station)
Visitor Tickets For Grantown-on-spey
- Mortimers of Speyside, 3,High Street Grantown on Spey. Tel 01479 872684
Offers something for everyone, whatever your interests and level of experience. From stocked rainbow trout lochs, to salmon and sea trout fishing on the River Spey, or boat fishing for brown trout and pike in tranquil lochs. Fly-fishing and bait fishing are permitted in specific areas and full instruction is available from our knowledgeable and friendly staff. We also have a tackle shop, stocked with bait and equipment for hire and purchase.
Tel: 01479 810703